Wednesday, January 26, 2011

When life gives you lemons...

When life give you lemons, what do you do?
Pucker up?
Make lemonade?
Sit on your roof and throw them at neighbors?

I think my answer varies from day to day.

However as I focus on the already speeding new year ahead and check things off the buckets list, I every once in a while come across a lemon in my bucket. At first you see it and think, how nice. Such a nice shade of yellow. Bright. Full of promise. Then bite into it and get a sour taste that could make the even the strongest tongue roll up in fright. Once you recover though, that same lemon can be used to add flavor to the dish of life. Or even help cut the grease that settles to the bottom of said dish.

Whats my point? My point is this....that famous quote "when life gives you lemons make lemonade" has far more truth in it than just its cutesy poetry. Regardless of what may come your way, use it to your advantage. When something gets you down, find a way to learn from it to get back up. When the ones you care about let you down or desert you, figure out how to survive without them. Become your own best friend. When doubt creeps into your mind, tell yourself that doubt doesn't have a leg to stand on.

A dear friend of mine took the time to add some sugar to my bitter lemonade last night. He reminded me of the power I have inside. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized how powerful I really am. I am the maker of my path. My destiny. Whomever decides to join me on my journey is most welcome. But I am quite capable of traveling this path alone if need be.

So I take my lemon. And even when it might be sour, I can't help but smile and venture on!

1 comment: